Friday, February 22, 2008

The details of the the appointment



I've been a little tired (read: lazy) for the past few days, but after a relaxing Friday night on the couch and a good nights sleep followed by an early Saturday morning nap, I'm finally going to give more details on the appointment on the 20th.


I worked in the morning and left around 1130am to pick Ted up at his office. I went up to get him, met a few of his co-workers, and then off we went to Farmington. I felt like I was absolutely going to burst! A lot of people have been asking me why I would want to know the sex of the baby, and my response has been, "Finding out I was pregnant in the first place was enough of a surprise...now I want to know everything!"

First we were brought into the examination room by an ultrasound tech. I got comfy on the table while Ted sat in a chair next to me and we anxiously looked at the flat-screen monitor hanging on the wall in front of us. In the beginning of the exam, the baby was very still and the tech seemed to be able to get the measurements she needed: the top of the noggin, the length of the body, the thickness of the placenta, etc. A few minutes into the exam, she asked if we wanted to know the sex of the baby to which I said "YES!!!" and she said, "Well, this baby is a boy!" Sure enough, she showed us a shot of the baby, taken as if the "camera" was underneath the baby looking up at his butt, and there was his "equipment". I cried (of course) out of happiness and Ted was just beaming.






Ok, I really don't want to scar my poor boy for life, so as he grows older PLEASE don't tell him that I posted the photo of his stuff on this blog, please. You can see it just to the left of where the tech wrote "BOY".


Aren't I awful?????



Ok. Next the tech showed us some really cool things, like the four chambers of the heart, his leg bones, spine, fingers, toes, lips, and of course the top of his huge head. Below are two of the most amazing photos:





Once the tech was finished, the doctor and an intern came in to look things over and talk with us. He said that the chances that our boy has any kind of birth defect or Down Syndrome are very limited which was great news. He offered an amnioscenthesis still, though, saying that it is always an option for me, but also saying that the chances of the amnio causing a miscarriage are greater then the chances of them finding a defect from it. So, we walked out of the Health Center happy about having a boy and even happier about hearing that everything seems fine!


The next installment of this blog will be the baby's name and how we came up with it, so stayed tuned!



No comments: