Wednesday, February 6, 2008

16 Week Check-up Report

This morning I had my monthly OB check-up, and Ted was able to join me for this appointment which was great. The Doctor on duty today was Dr. Briggs who is a nice, young guy and very patient and thorough in answering questions. He went over (in great detail) the results of my UConn tests and also what I can expect from the next round of testing there. The basic gist here is that, although the test results were very promising, it doesn't mean that we're out of the woods for anything being "wrong". It is still possible that the Quad screening (a maternal blood screening test that checks for four specific substances that can be evidence of birth defects) will show less then desireable results. The test results from the Quad screening will determine whether or not I'll get the amnioscenthesis done which I'm obviously hoping to avoid.

The best part of the appointment was having Ted hear the heartbeat for the first time. I had told him that the first time you hear that "Wow-Wow-Wow-Wow" of the baby's heart beating away (ask me to do the imitation next time you see me....it's pretty good if I do say so myself!) it was amazing, and I think he agreed with me. We heard it right away when the doc put the instrument to my belly and then we heard a lot of swooshing which was explained to be the baby moving around. Seriously, this kid is VERY active!! In between all the swooshing, we also heard a few "whumps" which was "something hard" as the doc said, "like an arm or a leg". Crazy.

So, we have an active baby on our hands, it seems. Hopefully I can keep up! Next update on the baby's progress will be on the 20th of this month when we'll hopefully find out the sex of the baby! Stay tuned!

No comments: